Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Valentine Advent Calendar

I was inspired by this idea.
Her's was a Christmas advent calendar.
I waited and waited for the paper mache boxes to go on sale at Hobby Lobby.
Didn't happen before Christmas. They finally went on sale last week - the end of January. (Naturally!) I snatched up enough to do a Christmas Advent and couldn't resist doing a Valentine's Day one as well. They were half price, after all!
Each box is filled with Valentine's Day activities.
(see list below)
Here's what you'll need
Paper mache boxes
frame (make sure it's big enough to fit all the boxes)
MDF board (more on this in a minute)
scrapbook paper
acrylic paints
Modge Podge and foam brush
Number and Letter Rub-onsI painted the (12x12) frame. Then I painted the parts of the boxes that would be visible. It was an exercise in patience as it took about 3 coats. You don't necessarily have to paint it. In fact, I didn't paint my Christmas version. It just depends on the look you're going for.
Then you cut your paper to fit the lids. I simply traced the lids of the boxes, cut them out and modge podged them to the lids.
Once they were dry I rubbed the numbers on the lids as well as 'love' words around the frame.


My base is MDF board. The inspiration piece used sheet metal. When I went to get it at Home Depot I discovered it was kind of expensive and I had no idea how to cut it. So I went over to lumber section. The friendly guy there showed me where the MDF board was. It is sold in giant pieces - much bigger than I needed. So the guy helping me out offered me a scrap piece (I told you he was friendly! :) for free!
Again with the Modge Podge, I adhered the scrapbook paper to the MDF board.
Then, after arranging the boxes to my liking I used E 6000 to glue the boxes to the board.


Finally, I filled each box with some Valentine's activities.

*tell someone you love them

*make a Valentine train out of candy

*have heart shaped pancakes with strawberry syrup for breakfast

*make a list of things you love about someone

*play Valentine's tic-tac-toe (coming soon) with someone you love

*start puppy love (I altered the original idea from a pillow to a stuffed puppy)

*look for love notes in your love letters pillow

*make Valentines

*make and decorate sugar cookies

*give someone a 'heart attack'

*make crayon hearts

*have a Valentines day party

*make heart shaped marshmallows

*Valentines Day treasure hunt


2 comments:

Micaela said...

Wendy these are all such great ideas (borrowed or not). I have always admired the time you put into making each holiday (and each day) special for your kids. You are a wonderful mother.

Sherri @ Dude I Made It said...

Super cute!